Monday, November 25, 2013

Losing Weight With Hypothyrodism


NaughtyThyroid YouTube Channel

I have been taking hypothyroid medication for 10 years, it has helped to get a handle on my energy but everything else is still an issue. Especially my weight, i have gained 100 lbs in the last 10 years. 

Last year i was so unhappy that i moved in with my mom, stopped working and just gave in to my body and rested. Then on new years i made a promise to give it my all this year and try to find a solution of learning to live with my body as it now is (meaning a slow thyroid, not my 244 lb body) and not the way it was when i was younger.
I've been a health nut for years but especially since 2006 after reading "The Thyroid Diet", i really began to research and educate myself to make better choices for my body and to avoid aggravating my condition. A great part of the research has been the internet and forums where i read peoples experiences and advice.
Now that i have lost 50lbs i decided that i needed to share my experience because it may help someone else, although i have not discovered anything new or some miracle way to lose weight i do think it is important to share.
In my searches i am always discouraged and disappointed by the absence of hypothyroid individuals in the weight blog world who have managed to lose 100 lbs and share their journey. I use many forums and they have been helpful in different ways but i have also had to step away from groups because it is discouraging to read about others putting in the same effort as you and losing 2/3xs more weight than you.
Losing weight is a difficult journey and many say a life altering experience.  
Losing weight with a hypothyroid? there are no words to describe it. the reality is that having a slow thyroid adds a plethora of concerns and hurdles.
No energy, no desire, dry skin, loss of hair, bad memory, and my favorite...depression.
I have read many times (in weight loss articles/forums) that you will succeed in weight loss when you do it for YOU, when you think you are worth it, etc. and i think "gee thanks i'm sure that with my depression tendencies that wont be a problem".
Well meaning people giving advice on what i should/should not be doing drives me insane because i think "you don't get it!", my body is broken, people don’t get that. We have a failure to communicate, we are speaking in different languages, that is the key for all of us.
Even amongst us we are each unique and each of our bodies has gone bonkers a different way.
Take into account; gender, age, genes, ethnicity, means, education, location...we cant compare to one another but at least we can share the flashlight we are using to guide ourselves.
Case and point...my sister also has a slow thyroid, she gained about 10 lbs then with the meds they went away and she does not have weight problems she manages her body like any normal person (and we have the same everything!) she struggles with energy and she is very good about exercising, supplements, healthy eating, etc. This has meant that even my own sister can’t understand exactly what i am going through. she understands better than most...but she doesn’t know what 244lbs is.  Even worse are others who say ...well SHE i'snt fat-you need to stop eating fast food! (i think i have developed a twitch in reaction to people thinking that if i stop eating garbage then i will be thin) I do not eat crap.

What i can tell you is that in the last 8 months i have come to terms with what my body now is and needs and i have learned to speak this new language that my body is communicating in.
For ME (remember everyone is different) it means a very low calorie intake, regular exercise but it has taken me almost a year to begin to come to terms with all of these extremes.
why am i sharing all of this stuff? 
because i had help (I NEEDED HELP) and i want to help others get their bodies back.

I hung up any pride i thought i had and left it somewhere last year. i admit i have no desire, no motivation, i don't care, etc. i need help. i cant be trusted to do the right thing for myself. given the choice i will always choose my bed!  

Having said that, here is a list of the (professional) people who have helped me get where i am:


  • trainer- 5xs per week for 60 min sessions each day. when i travel i use the power 90 videos (from the guy who does P90X), these workouts are not optional it is part of living. In addition i bike/swim/volleyball/flag football at least 3xs per week (usually more)

  • MD- monthly checkups for my thyroid and overall health. The office i go to specializes in weight loss and internal medicine. I get weekly HCG shots (useless) but for $12 i get checked by the nurse and she tracks my stats. It is reassuring to know that some health professionals are keeping tabs on my progress. I do not follow his pre printed 1200 daily calorie advice, it is too much for me. I am honest with him, he knows what i am up to and he just warns me to keep my protein intake high so that my body doesn't eat my muscle and of course to watch for fainting, dizziness, etc. i have had none of these symptoms despite a grueling daily workout and other activities which proves to me that i am at the right range for my body.

  • sports masseuse- we put our body under a lot of stress; the weight, the exercising, LIFE. He helps maximize and shorten my recovery period, as well as getting rid of the ascorbic acid build up so that i can continue to grow muscle. I go at least 2xs per month depending on my activity and soreness level. If this is not a possibility for you then i suggest you become familiar with the foam roller and use it 2/3xs per week for similar benefits. 

Now some of the other important thyroid stuff:

Thyroid support/nutrition: Read the Thyroid Diet to get an idea of what you may need for your body. These are my personal choices for what i feel my body might need to be healthy (not just weight loss). Dr Levines Ultimate weight loss formula, centrum silver multi vitamin, Tonalin CLA, Acetyl-L-carnitine, Hammer tissue rejuvenator, Coenzyme Q10 , omega 3-6-9, L-Tyrosine, raw thyroid tissue tablets, d3, selenium, vitacraves immunity support gummies. An additional piece of advice...when purchasing supplements avoid the tablet form because they usually include palmoate/magstearate and its not good for you. so ideally you want capsules. i also use Sun Warrior warrior blend protein powder- it is plant based, gluten free, non GMO, etc. and it has ALL essential amino acids.

Hair loss: Rogaine for women (im starting to have nightmares of my hair falling in clumps) the MD said it is a side effect of the thyroid medication (REALLY? GRRR) and he suggested a multi vitamin. geee thanks. i also use Cholesterol hair conditioning cream

Dry skin/stretchmarks/loose skin: Palmers cocoa butter massage lotion for stretch marks, palmers cocoa tummy butter, Nip+Fab Body Slim Fix and scar zone scar diminishing cream, and my latest addition is coffee grinds as a daily body mask. Hindsight is 20/20 and i have read too many stories with regrets regarding their skin so i am taking all cautionary steps

The "FOOD"/Diet:
*juicing- healthy as anything you can find, if you can juice for 60 days...it will do it. i lack the self control and discipline. The longest i went was about 10 days. However, you really do feel cleaner, lighter, more energized. I try to juice daily and whenever i feel i have the control ill go a few days if i can. juicing is messy and does take planning ahead of time. my quick/lazy solution is v8 low sodium, especially the small 4/5oz cans that can fit in my purse. i truly believe that food can heal you and there are worse things than having some v8 for a snack. the calories are super low so it also helps me when i need to keep my count down but still want something filling.
*salads- if you eat 3 meals a day of salads and light protein, some nuts, and sensible dressings....it worked for me but i am not a bunny rabbit and i got tired very fast
*soups- broth like soups homemade are filling, warm and generally low calorie...(im not a fan)
*calorie counting....watch your portions (drove me insane bc of how tiny my portions were)




My current "plan": i am keeping (trying) my calorie count around 800 during the week and around 1000 on saturday and sunday. i am attempting to keep my weight loss between 2-3lbs per week because i want to give my skin time to keep up with the changes. For me the thing that works best is removing options, if i don't have to think about cooking then i don't think about what i am missing or might want, etc. Now i have my routine and that's that. so breakfast and dinner is an Atkins protein shake (160 cal), a sensible lunch(~300 cal) and after my workout i make a protein shake that is around 200 calories. i also have a fiber shake about 2xs per day (0 calories) and my 97 ounces of water/tea. 
 
I started a youtube channel (naughtythyroid) for the same purpose. thinking that it would be quicker to just do a video and share tips...well lets just say that until very recently my willingness to get in front of a camera has been NILL and i still do struggle with low energy and just general lack of desire (even if it for a good cause) 

I want to reiterate that we are each different and so the answer is slightly different for each of us but there are multiple options to get to the happy place, it took me a long time to find a road i was okay with. i sill struggle with cravings or sometimes flat out hunger pangs and it is hard to always follow my calorie quota and just "cut" myself off for the day. For now i would rather feel hunger than eat salads 5xs per day but one day i am sure i will make the tastier choice

No comments:

Post a Comment